This is our Beautiful Lily admiring the beautiful flowers in the Nauvoo city park! She has recently learned to say flower, and it's so cute!
This picture doesn't have anything to do with what I wanted to post about, but I figured each post should have a picture, so I picked a cute one and we're going to run with it.
This month we had a scary thing happen to our Lily. We were having family night outside in our pretty backyard (because the weather was so nice), and Lily dislocated the head of her radius (or in lay-mans terms, the top bone in her forearm where it connects with her elbow). This was a Monday night at about 6 or 7pm. Andrew and I didn't know what was wrong, only that her arm was hurt and we didn't know what to do. We thought about taking her to the ER, but I know that our pediatrician would want to be called if we did go to the ER, so I called the hospital and had them connect me to his home first. He asked where we lived and said he would be over in about 5 minutes! Holy Cow! A doctor who makes home visits! I thought that stopped in the mid 1900's!
So, over he came, and as he walked in the door he said, "I think I already know what's wrong, but lets talk for a minute to see if I'm right. We told him what had happened, and he looked at Lily's arm to confirm his diagnosis. Then he said, "this is really common in little kids, they call it nurse-maid's elbow." He then told us that he can fix it right there in our living room. He took Lily's arm and did a maneuver on it that set the bone in the right place. We were a little concerned at first because it didn't seem to take the first time, but he did it again with much better result. As he did it, he showed Andrew what to do to fix it, and gave us a warning that for the next few weeks her little arm would be prone to do this again so to be extra careful with it. Before he left he watched Lily play for a few minutes, and the tears were gone, and she used her arm in normal ways. We thanked him and he left to go have dinner with his family. We couldn't believe it! Lily was all better in just a few minutes time, and our sweet doctor was happy to come take care of her in our home outside of office hours! Never would this happen in a big city like Mesa! This made us really grateful to be here in Kirksville for this time in our lives!
Lily did dislocate it again later that week trying to lift something that weighed more than she does, but Andrew was able to reset it, and she received a blessing and it hasn't happened again. How blessed we feel to have such a good doctor, and for the blessings of the priesthood to heal our baby so this doesn't reoccur often!
~Amanda
3 comments:
Wow! Who's your doctor?
Dr Freeland
Hi, Amanda!!!
I was at the Stacey's blog and saw yours and had to see what you all are up to. CONGRATS on the baby!!! I'm so happy for you.
Dr. Freeland sounds like an AMAZING DR!
So, I never did make it to your house before that Wednesday when you left for home. :( I still have those bows, too. I just haven't been able to make it to the post office. One of these days, you'll get a random package from us. :)
Hope all is well!
Post a Comment