5-13-09 Wed afternoon my classmates and I were all cramming for presentations we had to give in Microbiology on Fungi and worm infections (gross). I was studying at home and the weather outside was rain & thunder. Not uncommon here, but it just seemed to be a lot stronger than normal. At about 5:55pm we got a call from a friend telling us that a tornado had been spotted 5 miles northwest of town and that there was a watch in place for it to hit Kirksville till 6:10. While we tried to figure out what to do in the event of it coming here (ie. we have no basement) Amanda called other friends to find out what they knew and to pass on the info, and I looked everywhere I could on the net for more info. Long story short 6:15pm passed and I ended up on the porch (which faces north) watching the storm, and then went back to studying. About 9pm I got a call from a classmate. He told me that he had been up to the northern tip of town (literally the edge) and that it had been hit by the tornado and it had ripped the roof off 2 duplexes and mangled 2 other homes. 1 duplex had 2 families from our ward and the other had 2 homes were classmates of mine.
The important stuff at school got canceled on Thursday. (Yet they still had a couple of classes). Amanda and I left Lily with some friends, I ditched and we went up to see what we could do to help. Unfortunately in the end I think it wasn't super beneficial to the families involved. There was just so many people that wanted to help and not alot that could be done to save anything that I think everyone got in the way alittle, but somehow we ended up moving most of one families stuff to a storage unit, and cleaned up some of the other families.
I can only imagine how bad it would be if the tornado had gone thru town....
Sorry for the sad images. But I just had to post them. We were shaken for days afterwards and at Lily's bday party 2 days later, the weather looked bad and I almost canceled the whole thing, but it turned out fine as you will see next time I post :-)
Andrew
No comments:
Post a Comment